Here is a recipe of my own, although I did learn the basics of it years and years ago (maybe 12-15 years ago) from my dear cousin. The good thing about this recipe is that it is very simple and can be modified very easily.
- bread slices
- spaghetti sauce
- Parmesan cheese, or other cheeses, even cream cheese
- herbs like oregano, rosemary, thyme, etc.
- any left overs you happen to have lying around (left over chicken, beans, meat, etc)
- Heat oven to 350F (180C, Gas Mark 4)
- Place bread slices on a baking tray (however many you want)
- Spread spaghetti sauce on bread [if you also want to use cream cheese, spread this first, and then the sauce]
- Add sausages, meat, herbs and mushrooms (and anything else you want to add) [in my case I had vienna sausages and left over chilli]
- If you have Parmesan cheese, or other shredded cheese, add now.
- Add cheese slices [you can either place an entire slice of cheese on top, or do as I did and cut it into pieces and place it randomly]
- Finally, put into the oven for about 10 minutes, checking constantly, and I mean constantly. You want the cheese to melt, and you want it hot, but you don’t want it to turn into a charred mess.
- Cut into diagonal slices and enjoy!
Make it as a treat or when you don’t have any food left for a proper lunch, it’s a lot of fun!
All the best and happy eating,